Sunday, August 15, 2010

BST all the time?

I think I have a vague recollection of this being tried before and David Cameron, apparently is thinking we should do away this clocks going back in the winter carry-on.

Whenever anyone suggests this, I keep reading about an 'outcry' or a 'backlash' in Scotland. I have to say, I wasn't aware of anyone having any strong feelings on the matter until I read this:
"The strongest signal came on Thursday, but has angered many - who argued that Scottish children will have to travel to school in the dark, which could cause a spike in the number of traffic accidents.

Angus MacNeil, Nationalist MP for the Western Isles, told the Daily Mail: 'David Cameron needs to wake up to the impact these proposals would have on people in Scotland.

'Plunging Dundee into darkness to boost tourism in Torquay is simply not acceptable and would make a mockery of Mr Cameron's Respect Agenda.'"
Because presently Dundee is bathed in light, is it? Not buying it myself. Scottish winter? Darkness covers the land, thick darkness the people. You go to work in the dark, and you travel home when it's dark. And this is a school day, we're talking here. When the time of year arrives when it's actually light when you get home, I'm always a little appalled at how squalid my house has become - not having seen the goddamn thing in natural light during the heart-breaking near eternity that is the Scottish winter.

I'm very far from being outraged, so they can stop this bi-annual buggering about with the bloody clocks, as far as I'm concerned. Anyone else living here got an opinion on the matter? I mean, in the land of horizontal rain, visibility at lunchtime is often pretty dismal. I was once told it's for the benefit of dairy farmers but I interviewed a representative sample of five-hundred cows prior to writing this and 8 out of 10 of them said their owners were talking mince and that they personally didn't give a toss one way or another.

Blog Archive