Monday, July 27, 2009

Victorian kitsch revival

In the shape of 'Homecoming 2009' is on the noo apparently. I'm gutted that I can't be in the city of my birth to see the place festooned with tartan and made soggy with false-memory nostalgia.

This sort of shit strikes me as a little like religion: as the authentic unselfconscious attachment to custom fades, the psuedo-ritual becomes celebrated with ever increasing vim and gusto. Take this as an example of the goddamn thing I'm talking about:
"Although there had been a decline in the popularity of traditional Scottish games and heritage on home soil, the opposite is true abroad. North America alone has 100,000 clan members and holds 300 Highland Games each year."
Yup - because there tends to be an inverse relationship between sentimentality about Scotland and the phoney cultural events constructed in the Victorian era and one's proximity to the actual place. In the Scotsman, Alan Bain argues that "Scots groups worldwide need to unify". Because only be collective action can we match the mawkish sentimentality for the 'old country' that the Irish Diaspora has achieved.

It's one of the great things about having a blog - venting your spleen about this sort of shit. I fucking hate this Celtic myth-making crud that makes a fetish out of suffering with completely ignorant arseholes indulging in the most nauseating sentimentality about a country they wouldn't dream of actually living in. Like Sean fucking Connery, for example. They make me want to vomit. If you disagree, please feel free to leave a comment below. I will then either delete your comment or edit it for my amusement. Because this is, as I mentioned earlier, one of the joys of blogging.

No comments:

Blog Archive