Oh, for goodness sake! Martin "I've been to Singapore and I've seen the light" Jacques is at it again with his "Western democracy as imperialism" line.
Norm reminds us again of the questions Mr Jacques and his ilk have never answered - simple ones like, what exactly do you mean by "Western-style" democracy?
Also one never gets an answer to the question: if democracy is such a culturally-specific product like jeans and coca-cola, why do some of the most brutal dictatorships invariably feel the need to arrange some kind of charade of democracy to provide their regime with a cloak of legitimacy?
Scroll down from the Jacques' piece and you'll find some shrewd comments. Soru's was particularly good.
- ► 2015 (14)
- ► 2014 (20)
- ► 2013 (22)
- ► 2012 (41)
- ► 2011 (74)
- ► 2010 (112)
- ► 2009 (117)
- ► 2008 (149)
- ► 2007 (212)
- JK Galbraith
- Too much information
- Call to end testing 'obsession'
- The new doctrine of individual ministerial respons...
- Keith Richards 'tree fall' injury
- Italy's Berlusconi set to resign
- Fisk fisks himself
- Euston: a broad platform
- "This is how Tories must have felt at end"
- More relaxed
- Minister denies Labour 'meltdown'
- Clarke refuses to resign over missing offenders
- Prescott admits to having affair
- It's official
- New Labour: notably authoritarian
- Unsolved mysteries of our age
- The 9/11 conspirator and the death penalty
- Blair defends 'cash for peerages'
- People losing their damn minds #13
- People losing their damn minds #12
- You know when you're getting old when...
- Challenge to Cameron over BNP
- Arguing over a corpse?
- Let boys start school later, if at all
- Prodi confirmed as Italy winner
- Hu Jintao goes to Washington
- English law may adopt Scots 'not proven' verdict
- Westminster and Holyrood split on extradition to t...
- Move to store 'ID card' details for children
- Pet annoyances
- Italian elections
- Fears of spiked drinks under ban
- Are you a secular supremacist?
- All things to all men
- Petty annoyances
- Tough on Onanism
- Profound educational annoyances
- Annoyances (slightly less trivial)
- Annoyances (trivial)
- Holiday books
- The Euston Manifesto
- Going off air
- Welcome to smoke-free Scotland
- Back shortly
- Maddy and the 'rise of raunch'
- ▼ April (47)
- ► 2005 (279)
British and Scottish Social
Elections and Voters
- A Cloud in Trousers
- Bad Conscience
- Butterflies and Wheels
- Chase me ladies, I'm in the Cavalry
- Christopher Hitchens
- Dave Hill
- Dave Osler
- Excuse me while I step outside
- Fat Man on a Keyboard
- Flying Rodent
- George Szirtes
- Labour and Capital
- Martin in the margins
- Mick Hartley
- Never Trust a Hippy
- Nick Cohen
- Obcene Desserts
- Olly's Onions
- Pickled Politics
- Rosie Bell
- Rullsenberg Rules
- Shiraz Socialist
- Simply Jews
- Slugger O'Toole
- Stumbling and Mumbling
- The gaping silence
- We'll Get it Right Next Time
- Whitehall 1212
Blogroll with aloe vera
British and Scottish Political
- Amnesty International
- China links
- China Support Network
- CIA factbook
- Democracy Now
- Europa - EU Online
- Human Rights in China
- Human Rights Watch
- International Labour Organization
- Labour Friends of Iraq
- South Africa links
- Statistical Abstract of the US
- Tibet Administration in Exile
- US Elections Stats
- Whitehouse Homepage