Wednesday, June 28, 2006

The town that said no to Tesco

The Gruan has a story about the Suffolk Saxmundham, which resisted having a giant Tesco built. Today local producers and retailers in a glorious display of localism provide delicious, locally-produced organic food, diversity flourishes, everyone knows their neighbours and leave their doors unlocked and they lived happily ever after.

Or maybe not, I don't know - I couldn't be bothered reading the rest of it because here's a thing: another town that has apparently 'said no to Tesco' is Glasgow. Scotland's largest city and there's only two. One wee one right in the centre of town - which isn't much use and another in Maryhill. Everywhere else is bloody Morrisons - and I hate Morrisons, it's complete shite. I mean, what's the point in two for bloody one bin-liners if you have to use two of them to hold anything heavier than an empty crisp poke? I could go on but I'm feeling this is rather sad already.

But it's part of a wider hippy-crap attitude that annoys me. Goddam leisured Guardian-readers with so little to do that they apparently have time to do things like wash terri-toweling nappies, make their own feckin' bread, and trail round about a million shops buying their bleeding groceries. Then they've got time to write to newspapers exhorting the rest of us to do the same? Pah - I don't have time for that shit. Tesco can come and invade Glasgow as far as I'm concerned.

No comments:

Blog Archive