Friday, May 13, 2005

Union attacks school indiscipline

My union, what's more. From the BBC:
"The president of the Scottish Secondary Teachers' Association (SSTA), Alan McKenzie, said many staff covered up problems to protect school reputations."
Some may, although I don't: this place is crap and I don't care who knows it.
"He said that teachers did not have the tools to control classroom behaviour."
As I said before - weapons, my man, we need weapons!
"Mr McKenzie wants ministers to take a lead by stating what is acceptable behaviour"
Hmmm, not sure Scottish ministers are that well-acquainted with the concept of acceptable behaviour Alan.
"He added: "In the front line there are no real tools that work. There are a whole series of paper chases, referral systems and punishment exercises. All of which compound upon themselves to create more problems because if you give a punishment exercise the chances are that it will not be done. You therefore have to chase it up again, double it and refer it on to somebody else."
My ingenious solution is simply not to give out punishment exercises (actually, that was my ingenious solution to all paperwork - but I got into trouble for that). Seriously, he's right - they're a complete waste of time and I can't be bothered issuing them.

I was thinking, though - listening to some guff on Question Time about hooded-tops (they're adolescants, for god's sake; they look repulsive - get over it) and Blair's getting tough on loutishness and disrespect for teachers and nurses - that you can't blame them too much because politicians and journalists have been setting them a very bad example over the years.

I've ranted about politicians before on this topic, but what about journalists?

I think Melanie Phillips, for example, should apologise for incubating delinquency and disrespect amongst the young with her near-hysterical attacks on "trendy-teachers" (don't exist) and "modern teaching methods" (lasted for about a week in the 1970s) and the like.

So there.

No comments:

Blog Archive