Friday, June 24, 2005

A Green light for Enfield academy

And bad news for the Enlightenment. From the Guardian:
"A Christian charity has been given approval to press ahead with plans to build a new academy in Enfield, north London.

The Oasis academy, being built by the Oasis Trust, is scheduled to open on a site in Enfield Lock in September 2007 after winning final approval from the Department for Education and Skills."
The Oasis Trust was set up by Steve Chalke, a Baptist minister. If you don't know who this unctuous individual is, take a look here. This is a face you would never tire of punching. I mean, I'm sure he means well and he has raised a lot of dosh for charity but my objection is that god-botherers should not be running schools, and especially not ones like Steve Chalke - who, despite falling foul of some ultra-conservatives, is himself a deeply conservative evangelical - and not exactly the sharpest tool in the box. If that isn't enough to convince you, look who he gets an endorsement from:
"The schools minister, Lord Adonis, said: "The Oasis academy is a really exciting opportunity for the pupils and community of Enfield and I am confident it will help raise educational standards in the area."
I noticed Meaders asking the pertinent question, "Why, incidentally, are we asked to imagine Gordon Brown as more "left-wing" than Blair?" I've wondered that myself - but one of the benefits of his leadership, surely, is we would be done with these sickly, smiling god-botherers? Seculaphobes, the lot of them. Stirring up religious hatred (in me) - I'm consulting a lawyer...

No comments:

Blog Archive