Monday, April 04, 2011

Koran burning

Two short points on this:

1) It shows, again, that those most likely to engage in acts designed to outrage people of a religious disposition are other religious people.

2) There's been the usual pious nonsense about free speech not meaning a right to offend and the need to respect other people's religious traditions.

One should be clear here. Those responsible for the murder of the seven UN workers think a particular book is more sacred and valuable than other human beings.

This represents a long tradition seen in most religions at various times in their history where the invisible deity or deities, along with physical objects, places or buildings that are taken as being sacred because of their proximity to, or actual possession of, the divine material, must be protected from desecration to the point of shedding blood.

Respect that if you must but I don't think you should. And I personally find the suggestion that I should very offensive. You could go as far as to say it hurts my feelings and strikes to the core of what I believe. But I won't be killing anyone because of this.

[See also this. Filed under, Making My Point For Me.]

Blog Archive