Sunday, June 18, 2006

Chastity rings banned

From the Observer we learn that Millais School in Sussex have banned 'purity rings' that are worn to demonstrate a commitment to pre-marital chastity.

Since those who defended Shabina Begum's right to wear whatever she wanted claimed they were doing so on the grounds that a 'woman has the right to control her own appearance', should we expect a couple of posts from the hard lefties doing the same for Lydia Playfoot?

I won't be holding my breath either.

Meanwhile I'll stick to my original position that no such right exists. Shabina Begum didn't have the right to wear whatever she wants and neither does Lydia Playfoot. One should show due consideration to religious traditions but I don't see why schools should feel obliged to recognise ones that have been patently made-up.

No comments:

Blog Archive